Removing the Hacktool.Rootkit virus

If you're using Norton Antivirus (codenamed Norton Internet Security) and if you get a nagging virus alert every five seconds saying Norton detected "Hacktool.Rootkit", then here's how you remove the darn thing.

1. Click Start>Run. Type in "msconfig" and hit Return.
2. Goto the "Startup" tab.
3. Search for an item in the list called "avpo". Uncheck the entry. (If you do not see this entry, then you are looking at a different virus)
4. Click the "OK" button.
5. You will be shown two options "Restart" and "Exit Without Restart". Click "Restart".

6. After your system restarts, click Start>Run again. This time type "cmd" and hit Return.
7. Execute the following commands, hitting Return after each line
cd \
del /ahs /f autorun.inf
del /ahs /f ntde1ect.com


WARNING! DO NOT TYPE IN "NTDETECT.COM"!! This is a critical windows file. Deleting this will crash your system.
The virus name is "ntde1ect.com". Note the difference between "T" and "1".

Do this for all your partitions. So if you have a "D:" you will type in "D:" and hit Return. Then type the above lines again. If you have an "E:" you will type...... you get the idea.
8. Finally, type in this line and hit Return
del /ahs /f C:\windows\system32\avpo.exe

And you're done!!




For the techies:

  • I've tried to keep the above language simple so an affected not-so-techie person could free himself/herself from the pain.
  • There is also an avpo0.dll in System 32 folder. I wonder if this is a related file, but I've not been able to determine that
  • I've not been able to put in a screenshot because I haven't been affected yet. Saved my hostel mates from the scorn of the virus.
  • I use Avira Antivirus. Real neat. It's saved me from all the viruses that this college LAN has thrown at me so far. I never use Norton (bloatware) and have a personal grudge against AVG because my home desktop has crashed after installing AVG. Not once but twice.
Happy Virus Hunting!

1 comments:

Bhumi said...

Hello there,

it was a great help n to the point help, much appreciated.

thanks very much. TC

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hybrid specimen. Likes mixing abstract concepts into a heady cocktail. Likes mixing people together to see what they can do. Also, PC whisperer, Virus Terminator, entrepreneur in a couple of years, "nice guy", INTJ more...